Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The God I don't understand

I just started reading Christopher Wright's new book called The God I don't Understand. It looks like a good book. I particularly like Wright's humility. It explores four questions.

What about evil and suffering?
What about the Canaanites?
What about the cross?
What about the end of the world?

I like the fact that the author acknowledges that there are issues that he never understands fully because the Scripture does not give all the answers we want, but at the same time tries to outline what the Bible does say.

Here is a quote on the issue of suffering (page 27):

"Whereas we often ask 'Why?' people in the Bible more often asked 'How long?' Their tendency was not to demand that God give an explanation for the origin of evil but rather to plead with God to do something to bring about an end to evil. And that, we shall see, is exactly what God has promised to do."

No comments: