Saturday, February 27, 2010

God speaks through his Spirit, who dwells in us

One of the most precious things I learned in ministry under an experienced senior minister in the 1990's was his desire to listen to God.

God speaks to his people. This is found frequently from Genesis to the prophetic writings in the Old Testament. People in the earliest church continued to hear God's voice, as the book of Acts illustrates. People like John Wesley and Hudson Taylor also seem to have heard God speak to them.

In my own experience I have never heard the audible voice of God. (But I know people who have.) But often I hear him speak to me. Mostly he speaks to me on matters relating to my own life and my loved ones. But not infrequently God speaks to others, with me being the deliverer of the message.

To me, the Bible remains the only reliable source of God's revelation, and it's the primary means by which God speaks to me. But in my own prayer life my experience is that God speaks to his people.

God speaks to us, and it's comforting and empowering. He gives us understanding of the Scripture, and guides us in our daily life.

As Gordon Fee says, the Holy Spirit is God's empowering Presence in those who are in Christ.

No comments: